A view of the location of the incident where a gantry crane component fell at the Sungai Besi Ulu-Klang Expressway (SUKE) construction site near Puncak Banyan, Persiaran Alam Damai, Cheras, March 24, 2021. – Picture Bernama

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest information on news you need to know.

KUALA LUMPUR, March 27 – The numerous reports of accidents on construction sites recently show that compliance with the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) must be enforced more strictly in order to avoid further breakdowns.

This is because most construction site accidents are caused by a construction contractor or construction company not complying with the SOPs set by the Ministry of Safety and Health at Work (DOSH).

The frequency of accidents on construction sites has raised questions about whether or not those responsible are turning a blind eye to enforcing safety regulations.

In fact, efforts to contain accidents on construction sites are a priority for DOSH and improving SOPs, said DOSH General Director Ir Zailee Dollah.

“However, it cannot be denied that these nasty incidents continue to occur and that thorough investigations are needed to determine the cause and that improvements are needed immediately to avoid a similar incident,” he told Bernama.

He said this when asked about recent construction site accidents. The most recent case of a launch portal occurred last Monday at the construction site of the Sungai Besi-Ulu Kelang High Speed ​​Expressway (SUKE) near Puncak Banyan, Persiaran Alam Damai, Cheras.

Denied allegations of poor supervision or oversight of SOP compliance on construction sites by responsible parties including DOSH, saying that monitoring project progress, particularly high risk projects including the construction of the 31.8 kilometer long SUKE Autobahn, always done.

He said the contractor must follow mandatory procedures, including the provisions of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1994, before starting any construction project.

“Basically, the existing law (occupational health and safety) not only serves to guarantee the safety, health and well-being of workers on the construction site, but also to protect the public.

“It is the contractor’s responsibility to appoint competent people, including safety and health officers, to assist project management in ensuring that the construction site is in a safe and healthy environment,” he said.

In the incident in Persiaran Alam Damai last Monday, three construction workers were killed when a component of a gantry crane fell on the construction site of the SUKE motorway. A passing motorist was also injured in the incident.

Previously, on March 3, two people were killed and three others injured when the structure of the SUKE motorway bridge near Desa Tun Razak collapsed after a trailer crashed into the iron structure of the motorway.

In September last year, a woman was cheated when a concrete slab from the construction of the Sungai Besi-Ulu Klang Expressed Expressway (SUKE) fell and hit her car.

According to Zailee, the risk assessment should always be carried out by the contractor to identify the potential accidents so that preventive action can be taken.

Apart from that, there should also be training for workers so that the construction works can be carried out smoothly and safely, he added.

Meanwhile, Construction Industry Development Board (CIDB) chairman of the board, Datuk Ir Ahmad ‘Asri Abdul Hamid, said the board will not compromise with contractors who fail to meet their responsibilities for ensuring the safety of construction sites.

Since the end of 2016 amendments to the Law on the Development Board for the Construction Industry (Law 520) came into force, nine contractors have been brought to justice for failing to comply with the legal requirements.

He also said that a total of 628 contractors had either suspended or revoked their registration, while 312 company executives had been blacklisted for various crimes over the same period.

“Contractors should be more sensitive and take the necessary measures to ensure public safety, including by diverting traffic or completely closing the area to motorists when high-risk construction work is being carried out.

“The move not only eliminates the risk of road users being harmed, but also maximizes the space that can be used for construction, which will speed up the implementation of the project,” he added.

The law on the development body for the construction industry provides for a fine of a maximum of 500,000 RM or a prison sentence of a maximum of two years or both in the event of death due to negligence on the construction site. – Bernama