L&T Development Luggage EPC Order to Set Up 1.5 GW Photo voltaic PV Venture in Saudi Arabia

0
152

The renewable energy arm of Larsen & Toubro’s power transmission and distribution business has signed a turnkey engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract with the consortium of ACWA Power and the water and electricity holding company, a subsidiary of the Saudi Public Investments Fund. Arabia, received (PIF) for the Sudair Solar Photovoltaic (PV) project with an output of 1.5 GW.

The project is considered to be the largest solar project in Saudi Arabia.

A 30.8 square kilometer plot of land is available for the upcoming project in the province of Riyadh, on which a total capacity of 1.5 GW PV solar modules with associated single-axis trackers and inverters can be installed.

As part of the National Renewable Energy Program (NREP) in Saudi Arabia, the Sudair project is awarded to PIF and its partner ACWA Power. This project is part of 70% of the PIF’s allocated target capacity of 58.7 GW. The Renewable Energy Project Development Bureau (REPDO) would tender for the remaining 30%.

“With several GW of experience in solar EPC, L&T has developed into a global technology player for solar systems,” said SN Subrahmanyan, CEO and Managing Director of Larsen & Toubro.

Securing the project is an important milestone on the company’s path to clean and green energy to tackle the climate crisis the world is facing, Subrahmanyan said.

“L&T has been a provider of EPC services for several green projects over the past few years. We have a diversified portfolio of renewable energies with 32 MW floating solar power plants, 135 MWh battery energy storage projects, 500 microgrids and 14,000 solar water pumps. L&T is also working on possible solutions for technologies to capture and store green hydrogen and carbon. “

In an expansion step, L & T announced in a BSE report in February this year that the power transmission and distribution business had received two engineering, procurement and construction contracts for the installation of solar projects with a volume of over 400 MW in Gujarat.

In 2020, Saudi Arabia submitted the application for qualification (RfQ) for four solar projects with a total output of 1,200 MW.