August 18, 2021
100 South reconstruction project
- Starting August 20, University Street will be closed between 100 South and 200 South. During this closure, traffic will be routed via 200 South to 1300 East. From here, drivers can turn onto 100 South in either direction (see map below).
- Throughout September, drivers can expect lane changes to 900 East. One lane per direction of travel remains open.
- Cyclists and pedestrians should prepare for occasional pavement closures in sections throughout the construction site.
Visit www.SLC.gov/MyStreet to find out more about this construction project.
Refrigeration project at Marriott Lot & 1500 East
The excavation work on the Marriott Lot and the road along 1500 East to South Campus Drive will continue through September 2021. The construction work has a direct impact on driver parking and travel in the area, but not on pedestrian and cyclist traffic.
- 1500 East will be closed for the duration of the construction project.
- Traffic will be diverted via the Marriott Lot (see diversion plan).
- Customers of the Campus Store, visitors to the Marriott Library and other motorists can enter the Marriott Lot via the south entrance (see diversion plan).
- The 30-minute customer parking spaces in the Campus Store will be moved to the next row to the east.
- Limited parking is available in the southeast corner of the Marriott Lot.
I-80 & I-215 construction
The Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) improves I-80 between 1300 East and 2300 East and I-215 between 3300 South and 4500 South. The project includes removing and replacing the concrete throughout the affected area and adding a new lane to the east on I-80 between 1300 East and 2300 East.
- Demolition and reconstruction of bridges 1300 East and 1700 East over the I-80
- Demolition and rebuilding of the I-80 bridge over 2000 East
- Widening of the I-80 bridge over 2300 East to accommodate the new lane to the east
Visit the UDOT website to learn more about the I-80 and I-215 construction project.
Life science building construction
Part of the Life Science Building will be under construction from autumn 2021 to January 2022. As a result, motorists, cyclists and pedestrians moving in the vicinity of the location will notice effects such as restricted parking spaces and detours on sidewalks.
Effects on parking:
Effects on parking:
- The parking spaces west of the Life Science Building (at 1400 South) are not available.
- The ADA booths will be relocated to the east side of the Crocker Science Center.
Effects on the sidewalk:
Effects on the sidewalk:
- The sidewalk east of the edible campus garden is blocked by construction fences. Pedestrians and cyclists heading south must avoid the construction site using the sidewalk east of the William Steward Building.
- The walkway north of the Life Sciences Building will remain open to pedestrians and cyclists.
HELIX building construction
Construction work on the HELIX building continues and is expected to be completed in 2023. The 250,000-square-foot building will be located in the open-air area next to the outpatient department of the Primary Children’s Eccles Service Facility and will span 5 1/2 levels connecting to the main hospital complex and the rest of the campus via a skybridge near the Moran Eye Center.
- Several booths in the northeast corner of the Eccles Broadcast Lot will be gated and unavailable. Motorists are encouraged to park on the Merrill Engineering Lot when both parking spaces are full.
- There will be increased construction traffic on the above-ground property south of the outpatient garage. Please be careful when walking through this area.
- Limited parking is available on the Sorenson Lot.
- The sidewalk between the Eccles Broadcast Lot and the Ambulatory Garage will be closed until summer 2021. Pedestrians and cyclists will be diverted to a different route on the east side of the Eccles Broadcast Lot, which is a compliment to the ADA.
Garage, lane and connection for health sciences
The construction of a new multi-storey car park with 1,400 parking spaces and the realignment of the streets on North Medical Drive are in progress. The garage, which is located between the IJ & Jeanné Wagner Jewish Community Center and the Kathryn F. Kirk Center for Comprehensive Cancer Care and Women’s Cancers, will have a lowered driveway and pedestrian link to the University Hospital so that pedestrians can avoid traffic on the street North Medical Drive. The realignment of the street will raise North Medical Drive, allowing better access to the North Medical Garage and the new multi-storey car park. In addition, two new roundabouts will be added at the entrance to the university hospital and at the entrance to the new car park to improve the flow of traffic.
- Commuters can expect road closures and possible traffic delays from the Mario Capecchi Drive intersection to the Huntsman Cancer Institute.
- Drivers can expect occasional delays as construction vehicles are in the area.
- The reorganization of the road will affect traffic on North Medical Drive from the intersection at Mario Capecchi to the Circle of Hope through October 2022. North Medical Drive will have two lanes to the east and one lane to the west at all times. Nevertheless, traffic jams and delays are possible, especially during rush hour in the morning and evening rush hour. Please add additional travel time when commuting through this area.
Visit the North Medical Drive Construction website for the latest project updates.
The outbuilding will be replaced by a parking lot
The demolition of the outbuilding is in progress. The existing space will be occupied by a new 300-space car park, which is to be completed by spring 2022. This new car park will replace the stands that were lost due to the Kahlert Village residential project that opened last year.
Extension of the Kennecott Mechanical Engineering building
A 22,800-square-foot building expansion is underway at the Kennecott Mechanical Engineering Building. The project is expected to be completed in January 2022.
- Access to the Kennecott Building Lot will be restricted during the filling process.
- Additional ADA booths will be added to the parking lot north of the Kennecott Mechanical Engineering Building.
- Several parking spaces will be permanently eliminated to accommodate the space required for the building expansion.
Public safety building construction
Construction of the new public security building and a smaller outbuilding on the northeast side of the guardsman’s property is underway. This project should be completed by December 2021.
- Pedestrian traffic along the eastbound side of 500 S. (adjacent to Guardsman Lot) will be temporarily diverted while sidewalk realignment and driveway realignment / plumbing work continues.
- Vehicle traffic and campus shuttles will be temporarily diverted by the Guardsman Lot while work on the construction site will be carried out along with the realignment of the driveway.
- Approximately 140 stalls on the Guardsman Lot will be permanently removed to create the space needed for the construction of the new building.
- The entrance to Guardsman Lot at 500 South will be closed for the first two weeks of September 2021.
This press release was produced by the University of Utah. The views expressed here are your own.